- 75 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp saffron, soaked in 2 tbsp milk
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peepled, cored, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pouring cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line base and sides of a 22 cm springform pan.
- Beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, then beat in eggs one at a time.
- Combine milk, vanilla and saffron mixture. Fold into butter mixture, alternating with the flour, and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into pan and scatter evenly with apple wedges.
- Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over cake.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in cake centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer cake to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with cream.
Image credit: Alan Benson
Source: SBS Feast Magazine
© 2023 Saffron and More. All Rights Reserved