Glazed Ham with Barberries and Pistachios
12.12.22 / Parya Zaghand
SERVES 12-15 PEOPLE
- 5kg Double smoked ham – with the bone in (Peel off the skin. Fat layer to remain)
- 2 tsp Ground cloves
FOR THE GLAZE
- 200 g Redcurrant jelly
- 40 ml Date vinegar
- 50 g Whole grain mustard
- 100 g Saffron honey (or regular honey)
- 35 g Black treacle To finish
- 25 g Pistachios, peeled/slivered
- 25 g Dried barberries
- 1/2 g Dried rose petals
- 1cm deep score the fat of the ham, in a 20mm criss-cross pattern.
- Dust the scored ham fat layer with the ground cloves.
- Place the redcurrant jelly into a pan, and melt over a low heat.
- Add the mustard, saffron honey, date vinegar and black treacle. Whisk until combined.
- Brush 1/3 the mix over the ham and evenly coat.
- Place the glazed ham into the preheated oven to cook. (Oven Setting: 190°C)
- After 20 minutes of cooking, remove from the oven and reglaze the with the remaining glaze .
- Return to the oven to fully cook.
- After another 20 minutes of cooking, remove from the oven and reglaze.
- Cook for a further 20 minutes.
Sprinkle the ham, with the pistachio, barberries and dried rose petals, then carve.
Recipe by Smeg Chef Gavin Berrecloth
© 2023 Saffron and More. All Rights Reserved