BY KATE PARKER |
2 cups of basmati rice
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 pomegranate, seeds removed
1 cup dried cranberries
4 radishes, finely sliced
1 cup of almonds, roasted and roughly chopped
1 medium red onion, finely diced
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cumin
1 handful of mint, roughly chopped
1. Prepare rice by washing until the water runs clear.
2. Add 3 cups of water to a medium-sized saucepan along with the turmeric.
3. Bring rice to the boil, then reduce to low until the water is gone. This should take 10-12 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and allow to stand for two-five minutes. Remove lid and fluff with a fork then set aside to cool.
5, As rice is cooking, roast the almonds for 4-8 minutes at 180 degrees. Check on them so they don’t burn. Once roasted remove and set aside to cool.
6. Prepare the dressing by adding all ingredients to a small jar and shaking to emulsify and set aside.
7. Add the cooled rice to a mixing bowl and toss rice as you pour over dressing gently. This will allow the oil to coat the rice and help it to separate in the salad.
8. Add remaining ingredients, sprinkling the spices over to spread evenly and toss to combine, serve warm or cold. This salad can be made 12-24 hours in advance if kept in a tightly packed airtight container to prevent the rice from drying out.
Image credit: Kate Parker
© 2020 Saffron and More. All Rights Reserved